Yearly Archives: 2016
A few things needed by PAX Nation
Help spread the word! It would be great if you added this image to your website (with a link to PAX Nation), someplace where it would be seen but not distract from the main focus of the site. It would look great on social networking pages too!
The primary resource for PAX Nation is … and always WILL be … active participants. Without caring, INVOLVED people, this is is nothing more than a set of ideals mixed with some progressive ideas. Words and ideas have the power to MOTIVATE, but if not acted upon, they never become more than POTENTIAL. The types of skills needed will grow and evolve as the Nation does. Below is a list of some skill sets we currently could use:
All citizens can right blog posts. We need folk to share about their organizations, their communities, their expertise … anything they feel is worth sharing.
Communications are one of the most important tools for cooperation. There are several opportunities for discussion, with the possibility for many more. Moderators will keep things moving and civil.
For the community to develop to its full potential, we need IT professionals who can maximize the web functionality.
We need business savvy people to help get the backing and resources necessary for the nation to grow.
Social Networking Gurus
Social Networking is essential for an online community. With so many out there, we need people dedicated simply to spreading the word and interacting with the many networks.
This project will keep growing, most likely eventually becoming a network of sites. Management will require a conscientious team.
I would like to help!
Thank you for your offer to aid in the development of PAX Nation. We will contact you shortly to explore how we can work together help make a healthy Global Community.
Required fields not completed correctly.
Unexpected, but very welcome, progress!
WELCOME NEW CITIZENS!!
Apparently signing The Charter for Compassion was the snowflake I needed to start an avalanche. In the last four days, there have literally been as many visits to PAX Nation as in the ENTIRE YEAR until this point. Enough people have registered (and hopefully will continue to) to truly call this a community. I started this project in December of 2012, right after the Sandy Hook shooting. That event kind of tipped the scales with my general dissatisfaction of the course humanity was taking. The idea got a lot of thumbs up at first … with little other support beyond that. Despite the apparent lack of support, and due to my general stubbornness, I have kept at it, with a few extended interruptions (such as an attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail). In recent months, I decided to commit to it fully, and reworked the entire project. Apparently I have learned much of what I needed to learn, and found much of what I needed to find, because I seem to be on the right course finally!
WHAT'S NEW ON THE SITE?
SO WHAT'S NEXT?
How far can we go?
Equality Heals Africa
Davis just recently joined the PAX Nation community. He is an activist in an organization in Uganda called Equality Heals Africa. This organization is devoted to creating a world where no one is marginalized, where blind hatred and discrimination based on such things as appearance, sexual orientation, or lifestyle no longer exists. This is a big issue in Uganda (and many other African nations), where the hatred often leads to violence and abuse. Through education, activism, and direct support for those in harms way, they hope to shift Uganda to a more accepting and tolerant society. I suggested that he write a blog post to let us know about EHA, but he is busy preparing for Pride Uganda, an event supporting the LGBTQ community in the region, which is rather difficult since such activities are actually illegal in Uganda. He asked that I post for him, which I am glad to do. I will share the mission statement of Equality Heals Africa to share their dream in their own words:
What We Do
We envision a Country and Continent where all people are equally empowered and living free from discrimination, invisibility, violence and isolation.
To empower, equip and liberate all those at the margins of the society through education, capacity building, vocational skills in order to resist dependence-syndrome while defending their rights in this volatile situation where the community conspires to make them misfits or second-class citizens.
As indicated above, part of EHA’s target group are persons doubly marginalized in that the few who manage to escape often find that conditions in their countries of transit are not much better than those they fled. They are often targeted for violence by local authorities or civilians. The scant survival resources normally available to other refugees are often closed off to them. Therefore, the Organization affirms the need to ensure that any official body handling the beneficiaries who choose to is able to understand the myriad issues and manage these cases sensitively and appropriately.
It has become evident that most refugees, sheltering in UNHCR camps, despite the difficult conditions, think that at least they can find solace in the fact that they have escaped the persecution that sent them there in the first place, but sometimes they discover that the reality is quity different. In some cases they find themselves living in deplorable conditions; sick, beaten down, fed unsustainable food, and their bleak existence exacerbated not only by a slow resettlement process (it seems that the process can take from 2 to 3 years), but by enduring persecution at the hands of the general camp population.
EHA in full sight of this humiliating situation, networks line groups, agencies and NGOs working with refugees in Uganda and Kenya to share examples of good practice through our portal in the hope it will help others to improve approaches and lead to safety for the many beneficiaries/ refugees currently fighting for their survival.
The Multifaceted Goal Of EHA:
- To ensure full realization of fair treatment and overall acceptance of all humans beings
- To provide and cultivate support, resources and advocacy to the victims of discrimination, hate and isolation.
- We are committed to every person’s right to live in violence free home and have a specific focus towards addressing the cultural hiccups in determining gender equality and equity.
- To restore and recover the lost hope of all victims of discrimination who are currently invisible in Uganda and Africa in general.
- To recognize and avert the absence of accessible emergency services for the victims of rape and defilement
- To educate, motivate, and mobilize youth to improve their own lives and communities so as to become subject-experts of their own problems, challenges and solutions to overcome them.
- To provide preventative and educational programs to combat the spread of HIV/AIDS and other STDs among the key populations……hence improving their health status.
- To challenge and end all forms of discrimination, bullying and isolation.
- To create, maintain and sustain an equal society.
We would like to thank you for your precious time shared with us when you chose to visit our site and indeed success will always stay in our hands once we are committed to detect and completely decimate or destroy all forms of discrimination. Such a commitment, is the only entry point to a sustainable and equitable society that we all long for, fellow citizens of this universe.
We Want A Place Where All People Are Empowered, Live Free From Discrimination, Violence & Isolation
More site improvements
Before this project can become an Active Community for Change, It needs to become an actual community. So far I have failed to make this happen. But I continue to work at it, and maybe with patience and perseverance, the effort will not be in vain. As I have mentioned before, the biggest challenge that PAX Nation needs to overcome to grow at the moment is lack of resources (material, financial, AND human). Thus growth is slow. I have recently been devoting my time to a couple of other projects intended to help with the financial issue. Most of my focus has been on my photo website, for a few reasons. One I have a LOT of photos to share. Two I have some skill with a camera, so don’t feel it inappropriate to offer the ability to purchase my artwork in various forms. Finally I want to use some of my photos to help PAX Nation grow.
That said, I have started adding some pictures from my own adventures to Images from afar … a page devoted to sharing images of the variety and beauty that this world has to offer. I have many of my own pictures to share, but as with everything else in this project, it is not intended to be just me sharing MY life. I have also added the ability for others to upload images that THEY would like to share. Even if we do not have the capacity to CHANGE the world yet here, we certainly can share information about our part of it with others. I encourage folk to upload pictures that are indicative of your part of the world. Images of nature, of people, of civilization … whatever you think is worth sharing. I had already included the ability for members to write their own blog posts, but I have added some posting guidelines to the page. Let your voice be hear about … whatever it is you wish to share.
Another community update
I have done a few more modifications to the site, and hopefully made a few more improvements. I have opted for a different method to add social networking features. They are prettier than the last attempt, and seemingly more functional. User profiles are a little more elaborate, and one can actually view their own profile now (something I did not realize we could not do before … part of the reason for the new method). Take a peek at My profile and Meet our citizens!. There is also a new page for general activity updates.
Also, I have added in the ability for registered members to write their own blog posts. I am using that feature right now to test it out. Members have a fair amount of flexibility as far as the posts appearance, including the ability to add media. All posts will be vetted before final publication, just to make sure they are not spam or somehow not suitable to the aims of the community, but it will take some serious effort to be denied. Their might be some minor editing to correct for typos and such, but for the most part the posts will be as written. If the list of categories does not apply to the needs of the post, contact us and we will make sure the desired category is added in.
The network is still pretty simple, but I have plans of adding in many more features, such as the ability to have friends and interact with them in several different ways. There will be chat and messaging and groups. There also will be the ability to add media to he profiles, as well as more customization features for them. Unfortunately the more advanced features require resources I don’t have yet, but since our user base is still small (and basically inactive), they are not needed yet.
I encourage members to become more active and try out some of the new features. I have been trying to trim the user list to actual people, so if I inadvertently deleted a real account, I apologize. Please register again!
I hope all enjoy the changes. As always, feedback and suggestions are quite welcome!
Community Update (the first of many I hope)!
In my last post, I expressed my renewed commitment to making this crazy idea of mine into a functional reality. It was as much an effort to kick myself in the butt as an announcement to the “world”. I really did not expect any response to the post, let alone that it would fundamentally change much of anything. Isn’t it funny how those are the posts that often have the most impact?
It is not as if the post was more popular than any other. I am not well read, partly because I don’t play the games often necessary to achieve popularity. I did get one comment (which is one more than I usually get), which opened my eyes to a thing or three, but not for any specific quality of the comment. It essentially said “What are you talking about?” (if not exactly in those words. So what was so special about this post … other than the insignificant yet eye-opening comment? It was the pebble to start another avalanche. How big an avalanche is yet to be seen. Thanks to that collection of words, I am back to tilting with windmills, seeking out an army of Sacho Panzas while I am at it.
I realized that just because I am clear about my goals does not mean that they are clear to everyone else. I also realized that I can’t expect anyone to actually figure out said goals if they are scattered throughout a site that doesn’t actually work. I have spent the last few days attempting to rectify this, and am now going to try to clarify things a bit, as well as give those who are actually on board a progress report. Here goes …
Aim for the stars ultimate goal
- In a world becoming more and more digitized, it makes sense that there be an actual governing force in the digital world … one that is not defined by lines on a physical map but rather by ideals. It will be a nation without borders that has actual influence in the course of human history. In short, I am (unrealistically) trying to found an internet nation on the last terrestrial frontier.
More realistic ultimate goal
- I am trying to create an active community of idealists. I am seeking those who believe that the constant divisive tactics of the current world order is ultimately not productive for humanity specifically, and the life of the planet in general. The community will be a support for those who often lack support, as well as help provide the resources to those who need them. We will not be defined by unproductive policies governed by greed, but rather by policies determined to create harmony and growth. If it works, we will have active members all over the globe … seeds. If enough of these seeds are planted, and we nourish them properly, what kind of garden will we manage to grow?
What I have recently done
- I realized that thanks to our constant need to improve technology that may not really need improving, much of the site I thought was at least basically functional was … in fact … not. No wonder I was getting so little indication of use, let alone any kind of active following. I spent the last few days making the site slightly prettier, and definitely more functional.
- I have created the seeds of the core aspects of the community to come. First, there is now a rudimentary social network that … well … works this time.
- I have taken the first step to creating an actual economy for our online nation. Even if we never truly become a “nation”, any community that expects to survive has to have a functional internal economy.
- I have opened the door to connecting the physical world to the digital one.
- I have enabled conversation between community members.
- I have taken the first step to active projects for change.
- In short, the site works now, and is ready to begin its journey towards a community for change (or so I hope).
Short term goals
- Have a membership that is not made up of 70% spammers.
- Figure out a way to encourage existing members to become ACTIVE members.
- Make the site more action motivated.
- At least double the size of the development / management team (bringing the total size to two).
- Establish steady revenue sources so that I can survive and actually DEVELOP the community.
- Collect ideas on doable projects and start DOING them.
- Establish an actual presence on the internet (even if only a small one).
Longer term goals
- Have a dedicated server (or better yet multiple servers), with the staff to maintain them.
- Have a truly functional social network that is self-sustaining.
- Have an established support system for real world activities.
- Have a functional economy that is capable of growth.
- Have an established “constitution” and “government” for the community.
- Be DOING more, and less TALKING ABOUT doing.
- Money (sadly this cannot be avoided)
- Web development and programming skills … I have some, but not enough to make this into something truly awe-inspiring.
- Awareness … this will never get anywhere unless the word is spread.
- Dedicated humans … this is, and will always be, the premier resource needed to make this into a viable community.
- I have a VERY long way to go for PAX Nation to become anything more than just a crazy man rambling on about a “better” world, with a few malcontents seeing merit in his ideas. That said, there seems to have been enough interest in this project … even after me kind of setting it aside … that I actually believe in the POSSIBILITY of it happening, even if it is remote at best. Every major shift in the world took a little bit of crazy and a whole lot of dedication. I have plenty of crazy, and my dedication flips between insane ravings and action. Essentially it comes down to this … if there is anyone out there that truly thinks this is an idea worth pursuing …
I NEED YOU WITH ME. I CANNOT DO THIS ALONE.
When one becomes two, the chances of two becoming more increases. And with each increase in numbers, the “impossible” becomes less impossible. As the numbers grow, critical mass becomes more and more of a possibility until it becomes probable, and finally … inevitable.
Making an idea a reality
1302 Days. Three years, six months and twenty-four days. A mere moment in terms of human history … not even noticeable in terms of the lifetime of the earth, yet to mere mortals a momentous enough amount of time for significant change. I am the same person that had that idea … yet I am not. For nobody is the same from one moment to the next, and much has happened to me in those three and a half years.
I am still just an unspectacular person. I have not suddenly achieved celebrity. There still would be no reason anyone should know me unless our paths have crossed through our journeys in life. I am still just another ordinary person.
But my eyes still see, and my heart still beats. My core values have not changed. I continue to believe that we are all in this life journey TOGETHER. I continue to think that cooperation and complementing each other is the key to the survival of our species … our very planet … and not constant separation and conflict.
The way humanity keeps acting in recent years though, it still appears I am in the minority.
Greed and selfishness continue to be the driving force of humanity. Those who value material wealth over life itself retain control; we remain divided for all the wrong reasons, and it again seems to be getting worse. Of course it has only been three years, and there really is not reason to expect any grand changes to miraculously appear, for it is ultimately up to humanity itself to change things … if it truly WANTS to.
Self-deception continues to reign supreme, thanks to increased violence and advances in technology that make the spreading of hatred and misinformation easier and easier. Education and critical thinking are taking a back seat to propaganda and fear. Those with clear eyes and clear heads are rarely heard over the incessant bleating of the easily manipulated, and the howling of the predators that herd them.
Yet my idea remains.
My life in the last 1302 days has both increased my despair for humanity’s future, and increased my determination to help alter the direction of said future. Recently, the despair has been in control, causing me to lose faith in myself and humanity in general. As a result my crazy idea, along with several other related projects were left unattended. Even though I still KNOW I am not the only person fed up with humanity’s reckless direction, I seem to be unable to find those others who think as I do. Feeling hopeless and, frankly, HELPLESS, I began giving up on … well … everything. I am existing instead of living, with little hope, let alone focus.
One thing I am, strength or weakness (or a bit of both) yet to be determined, is STUBBORN. My determination may wane, even disappear for a bit … but it ALWAYS returns.
My idea still may be insane. It remains to be seen if I have a chance of making something so out there happen. But one thing is clearer than ever. I neither have the resources nor the skills to do it alone. Even if the birth of an actual internet nation is beyond our reach, it is still possible to build an active community of like-minded individuals that are not defined by location or other arbitrary labels, but rather by a shared determination to bring humanity to a productive and healthy path. That is ultimately what this project is about, and what I have so far failed to do.
I have been surprised to find that despite my lack of activity in recent weeks, we continue to have those who seem to support it trickle in. This makes me believe that it truly CAN turn into something, even if it is still a remote possibility. But we need more than just the occasional like on a Facebook page. We need more than someone registering and then never doing anything else. For any chance at a community that can make a difference, we need active participants. We need others to share their own crazy ideas. We need to take these ideas to the next level, by ACTING on them. We need to share with each other, and find those others who would willing be part of a … MOVEMENT.
No idea will ever be more than just an idea without ACTION, and no single person can change much of anything ALONE. I do not wish this to be just another site that has a crazy man preaching his ideals, nor do I wish it to be yet another pointless social network. It is meant to be an active community, a gathering place of humans who believe in the value of life … humans that believe governments and economies serve humanity and not the other way around. PAX Nation is here to remove lines on maps and let ALL people unite in common goals, embracing our uniqueness as nothing more than an opportunity to grow.
So I ask again folks … who wants to help me change the world?